It's wednesday and we are ready with the third edition.
1. In the midst of the 1977 debacle for the Congress, this person made his debut on the Election scene and won his first election on a Congress ticket. He retained his seat 8 times post that making it to a few Parliament committees but never became a Minister.
In 2009, he was denied a Congress ticket and switched his allegiance. In 2014, his daughter makes a debut contesting in the same seat which her father represented. Identify the person and the constituency.
2. X is an orange coloured stomach healer that all Bengalis swear by. Found in most of our homes, it is considered more valuable than gold. Bengal Chemicals and Eastern Drug are some of the prominent manufacturers of this. Made by the small seed-like fruit of the Bishop's Weed plant, what is X? For bonus points, what is the common name we know it by?
3. The word is most commonly used for a small group of experienced personnel at the core of a larger organization that the small group trains or heavily influences. Its origin is in the French word meaning a "frame". The word is used in the sense that the small group provides a "framework" for the larger organization. Which word?
4. The city got its name from the Managing Agency house which promoted IISCO (Indian Iron & Steel Company) in 1918. The township came up with the construction of the iron-making plant. The Indian Standard Wagon factory was also set up in 1918 and shared the township with IISCO. Which city?
5. Which company sponsors the New Year's eve in Times Square, New York and also runs the ‘Kiss of the Year’ contest in several places as a run-up to the New Year celebrations?
6. In the 1970s, after taking up the job of the editor of this magazine, which very few would have vouched for and doing it successfully, he gave it up even though he was complemented by Atal Bihari Bajpayee on bringing out a "good magazine", but one which he had to "keep under the pillow". Identify the editor and the magazine.
7. It was founded by Alfred Escher in 1856 in order to fund the development of Switzerland's rail system. It issued loans that helped create Switzerland's electrical grid and the European rail system. It also helped develop the country's currency system and funded entrepreneurship. What are we describing?
8. What event, one of the first of its kind in the world started as the "Press Week" in1943, to divert attention away from the French industry during World War II and showcase the American industry which till then had been ignored?
9. Kashmiri Shawls became international brand when this ruler decided to gift one to his wife. Who?
1. Manoranjan Bhakta from Andaman and Nicobar Islands. 8 time Congress MP. Switched to Trinamool Congress. Daughter Anita Mandal contesting as the Trinamool Congress candidate.
2. Aqua Ptycotis commonly known as JowanerAarok or AjwainAarak
4. The answer is Burnpur after Burn & Co.
6. Vinod Mehta and Debonair
7. Credit Suisse
8. The first fashion week. New York Fashion Week